BURN PILE SAFETY
* Build your debris piles in vegetation openings, away from overhead branches, wires, structures and other burnable materials.
* Scrape debris and any other burnable material away from your piles, so material is surrounded by several feet of bare soil.
* Once you ignite your debris, attend your fire continuously.
* When you think your fire is out, check ashes for glowing embers. With a new burst of oxygen (generated by stirring ashes), even a few live coals will soon produce smoke. Make sure your fire is dead out!
* Keep water and tools ready in case there are fire- or weather-related changes.
* Always have sufficient help, tools and equipment to control the fire.
KNOW WHAT You CAN and CANNOT BURN
Don't get charged with illegal burning. There is no burning allowed in the Air Stagnation Zone, which includes the City of Missoula and an area roughly 4 1/2 miles around it.
FIRE OUT BY 4 PM
All General Outdoor Burns must begin after 9 am and be fully extinguished--NO SMOKE AT ALL--by 4 pm, unless your local fire department has granted an extension.